.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chuck's Occasional Rants (now banned in 15 countries)

This is where I rant about my life, the way things are going, the state of the nation, or anything else that catches my attention. These entries reflect my opinion on a given subject. That opinion may be viewed as anything from informed to insane, but nonetheless it is mine. If you disagree with me, remember no one is forcing you to read this blog. As to the blog name, according to sources, the content of this blog most likely violates certain banned speech laws in 15 countries.

Name:
Location: Parts Unknown, Pennsylvania, United States

I am male, 41, heterosexual, caucasian, and still living (to the best of my knowledge). I won't mention my political views as I am sure that you will figure them out from the entires in this blog (unless you are a Tea Party member in which case you are probably too uneducated and downright stupid to figure it out.)

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Who'd Have Thunk It!!

Hello again readers, I hope everyone is doing well.
The subject of today's rant is Bush's speech on immigration earlier tonight. The title comes from the fact that I actually agree with most of what Bush said.
The speech, 18 minutes in length, addressed the current controversy regarding illegal immigration. The complete text of the speech is available here. Bush put forth proposals that included moving 6000 national guard troops to the Mexican border in support roles, hiring and training 6000 new border patrol officers by 2008, building a new high tech fence and barriers, increased federal funding for local law enforcement agencies that aid the border patrol in the apprehension of illegals, a guest worker program that includes background checks and tamper-proof ID cards, and a procedure for making [now] illegal immigrants who are in the US into legal immigrants and, eventually, citizens.
Now, believe it or not, I agree with most of the proposals. The only proposal I don't think is a good idea is moving the 6000 national guard troops to the border. There are better things these troops could be doing, like helping with the Katrina cleanup, prosecuting the war on terrorism, or being at home working in their normal jobs. As it is, the national guard is stretched pretty thin, which makes me wonder if there truly are enough troops available to fulfill this mission. What I mean is that between their deployment in Iraq and Afghanistan and the high attrition rate that the military is currently experiencing, the guard, as well as the regular forces, are shrinking. Bush states that there are enough guard troops to fulfill all of their missions, but I am not convinced.
The proposals that I like the most are the plan to hire more border patrol officers, and the guest worker program. I think that both of these ideas are prudent responses to a difficult problem. The proposed increase in border patrol officers leaves the responsibility for securing the border where it should be, in the hands of civilian authorities, not in the hands of the military as some have proposed. Provided that the government does thorough background checks on the applicants, I think that the guest worker program is a very good idea. Not only does it allow for Mexican citizens to legally enter and work in the US, but it also secures a reliable, legal labor force for the agricultural businesses who are now dependent on illegal immigrants.
The big question with these proposals now is how much will they be altered by the corrupt grandstanders in Congress. As I sit here listening to the reactions on the news, I can tell already that both the Republicans and the Democrats are practicing their political posturing. Well, here's an idea for those Congressmen...Can the political bullshit. Sit down, read the proposals, think about and debate the points, then get off your lazy asses and craft legislation that will incorporate these proposals. I know it is a radical idea, guys, but just for once try to doing something that benefits the country as a whole instead of lining your pockets as usual!
I am Chuck and this has been my rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home