.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chuck's Occasional Rants (now banned in 15 countries)

This is where I rant about my life, the way things are going, the state of the nation, or anything else that catches my attention. These entries reflect my opinion on a given subject. That opinion may be viewed as anything from informed to insane, but nonetheless it is mine. If you disagree with me, remember no one is forcing you to read this blog. As to the blog name, according to sources, the content of this blog most likely violates certain banned speech laws in 15 countries.

Name:
Location: Parts Unknown, Pennsylvania, United States

I am male, 41, heterosexual, caucasian, and still living (to the best of my knowledge). I won't mention my political views as I am sure that you will figure them out from the entires in this blog (unless you are a Tea Party member in which case you are probably too uneducated and downright stupid to figure it out.)

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fair And Balanced, My Ass!

Hello again readers, I hope everyone is doing alright.
The subject of this post is the appointment of Tony Snow as White House press secretary.
As you may or may not know, the current White House press secretary, Scott McClellan, is leaving the White House. Bush has appointed Fox News analyst Tony Snow to the job. Bush has stated that he is hoping that his appointment of Snow will improve the White House's relations with the press.
Now I have no problem with Snow being appointed as White House press secretary. Bush can appoint whomever he wants to the post. I think that it is entirely fitting that the Bush press secretary have a name like "Snow" since it seems like that is what the White House does to the American people most of the time.
My problem, for lack of a better word, is with Fox News. Fox News likes to bill itself as "fair and balanced" when it comes to reporting the news. It (FNC) likes to claim that its reporting is free from bias toward any political party or political viewpoint. Basically, Fox News likes to present itself as saying (more or less), "here is the news, you decide what it means". However, anyone who watches Fox News on any kind of regular basis will know that "fair and balanced" is just not the case. Fox News is, for all intents, either the Republican Party news channel or the government news service (take your pick, they are interchangeable). The appointment of one of Fox News' main contributors/commentators to press secretary in the exceptionally conservative Bush White House only goes to show that they (FNC) are anything but their claimed "fair and balanced".
Therefore, I am calling on Fox News to fulfill their stated mission of delivering the news in a "fair and balanced" way. What I mean by "delivering the news in a fair and balanced way" is that Fox News should abandon their apparent neo-conservative agenda and start delivering the news without the "Republican Party line" political comments that so often accompany their stories. They should also abandon the practice of only reporting news that is favorable to either the White House or Republicans in general and start reporting ALL of the news (favorable and unfavorable).
If Fox News feels that they cannot do this, then I call on them to drop the facade of being "fair and balanced" and try a little truth in advertising. Fox doesn't have to change their name to accomplish this. All they have to do is change their slogan from "fair and balanced" to something like "All Republican news, all the time" or "Neo-conservative news for neo-conservative people". If Fox News wants to change their name to reflect their reporting style, might I suggest "The Bush Propaganda Network" or "The White House Approved News Network". Or perhaps they could change both their name and slogan at the same time, I would suggest "The Neo-Conservative News Network--News for people with an IQ lower than Bush's approval ratings." At least these names and slogans would be more truthful than "fair and balanced"!!
I am Chuck and this rant is anything but fair and balanced!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home