.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chuck's Occasional Rants (now banned in 15 countries)

This is where I rant about my life, the way things are going, the state of the nation, or anything else that catches my attention. These entries reflect my opinion on a given subject. That opinion may be viewed as anything from informed to insane, but nonetheless it is mine. If you disagree with me, remember no one is forcing you to read this blog. As to the blog name, according to sources, the content of this blog most likely violates certain banned speech laws in 15 countries.

Name:
Location: Parts Unknown, Pennsylvania, United States

I am male, 41, heterosexual, caucasian, and still living (to the best of my knowledge). I won't mention my political views as I am sure that you will figure them out from the entires in this blog (unless you are a Tea Party member in which case you are probably too uneducated and downright stupid to figure it out.)

Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Rules (Revised Edition)

Hello again loyal readers, I hope all of you are well.
The purpose of this post is to publish my revised rules for this blog. Recently I have been receiving a great deal of what I call "spam comments". This has led me to conclude that a revision of the rules is necessary. Some of the rules are all new, while others are revisions of the rules posted by myself on 4 NOV 04. I ask that you read them carefully and abide by them when posting a comment. Comments that do not comply with the rules will be subject to deletion and the poster may be subject to further actions depending upon the nature of the comment, the comment itself, the number of rules violated, and whether I feel that it is necessary to pursue further action.

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for a person (me) to define or alter the rules of this blog I shall be the one do so. Until then, the rules are:
1. No hate mail. I don't mind criticism, but try to make it both well thought out and constructive.
2. No spam. I have been working with computers on one level or another for the last twenty years. If you spam me, I will find you. Once I find you, I will force you to watch Andy Worhol's "Sleep" until you die of boredom! (Not to mention that an instant email will be sent to "Abuse@" your ISP.)
3. What I say is my opinion. If you have a comment on it, fine. But do not threaten me with lawsuits, cease and desist notices, etc. Most people who post these are wanna-be lawyers who will very quickly be told where to go and what to do once they get there.
4. Do not assume that I like you just because I let you post comments on my opinions. Never confuse tolerance for affection.
5. All posted comments must be on topic with the exception of general comments on the blog. I will no longer allow comments off the topic of the post being commented upon, i.e., no more Google AdSense comments under the "Warning..." post. Furthermore, I reserve the right to determine whether any comment is acceptable or not. Those comments found to be in violation of this rule will be deemed unacceptable and deleted. There will be no exceptions.
6. If you are offended by anything I say, tough. Do not post to say something like "He said 'shit' in his last posting, how terrible!"
7. A comment shall not be deemed as spam if the comment contains a link to the poster's blog. However, a comment will be considered spam if the commentor posts a link to a website for any product or service. So you can post a link to your blog, but not to a website espousing the merits of "Product X". Violations of this rule will lead to the comment being deleted.
8. If I make a typo and you spot it and post a comment saying "you made a typo" (or similar), great! I can use all the help I can get somedays. However, please read the previous comments to make sure that someone else has not posted the same notification. Letting me know about it is fine, but I don't need to be let know about it 23 times.
9. I reserve the right to be absolutely arbitrary in my judgement of a particular comment. In other words, if I don't like your comment, I reserve the right to get rid of it. I also reserve the right to retain any comment. In other words, if I don't like you comment, I reserve the right to keep it.
10. Anyone who posts a comment on this blog is deemed to have read these rules and agreed to them.
11. I am the ultimate arbiter and interpreter of these rules. There is no process of appeal. All of my decisions on the fitness of a comment are final. That may be unfair, but this is my blog and I need to do something about the spam comments on it.

These rules shall be effective starting at 0601 UT (0201 EST), on 13 OCT 05. Any post made before this date and time shall be considered to be "grandfathered" and shall not be subject to these rules. Therefore, all currently posted comments shall remain. Any comment made after this date and time shall be fully subject to the above rules. Violators of the said rules will thus be subject to deletion at any time. (Spammers, you've been warned. There will be no warnings from this point forward.)

I am Chuck and these are the new rules. Read the rules, know the rules, be the rules.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:39 AM, October 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:36 PM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Chuck said...

Anonymous Commentors #1 and #2, et. al.,
Anonymous comment #1 was very nice. It had kind words and expressed the commentor's delight with my blog. However, commentor #1 decided to include a cleverly hidden link (the "!" after the word "Thanks" at the bottom of the post). The link went to an adult dating site. Nice try commentor #1, but as explained in the rules, I have been around computers and the web for quite sometime (since the beginning of the web, actually). You shall have to be a bit more clever next time. Thus for playing, and violating rules #2 and #7, your comment is subject to deletion. (See Rules #9,#10, and #11 if you don't like my decision). Also, see "Johnny" on the way out for a nice parting gift, and thanks for playing.
Anonymous comment #2 also had some kind words, but was a bit of a more direct spamming. The link included went to a supposed "resource" site. Upon examination, the "resource" site turned out to be links to more spam. So, Anonymous Commentor #2, for being found in violation of blog rules #2 and #7, your comment is also subject to deletion. (If you do not like my decision either, you too can see rules #9, #10, and #11).
Next time you want to post a comment, fine. I had no problem with your comments, just the fact that you included links to commercial and/or spam sites. If you wish to include a link, please see rule #7 for what constitutes an acceptable link. Otherwise, I will be forced to delete your comments again (provided you include a non-acceptable link).
That is all, this session of the "Chuck's Blog Court" is now adjourned. *gavel slams* Be sure to talk to Doug Llewellyn on your way out.
--Chuck.

11:22 PM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Chuck said...

Anon,
I am not a fan of the show. However, I have a few friends who are, and I am sure that some of the readers of this blog are. Therefore, I will leave your post intact (despite being a violation of the rules [see rule #5]). I am entitled to do so under rule #9.
I would suggest changing the way you post your link though. "Lost In Space" was a cheesy 50's sci-fi show, whereas "Lost" is a cheesy 2000's "I'm stranded on desert island [Maui actually] minus Gilligan" show. Either way, thanks for the comment and the link.
--Chuck.

11:13 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:49 AM, October 26, 2005  
Blogger Chuck said...

Boy did I get spammed today! The two previous comments were deleted due to spam content. You spammers can write, so, therefore, you can also read and are, thus, not illiterate. So next time you decide to spam my blog, know that your comments will soon be deleted in accordance with the rules. Oh, and next time, rtfr, jerks!

11:17 PM, October 26, 2005  
Blogger Chuck said...

I would also like to correct something in my "Lost" comment reply. I stated the filming location of "Lost" was Maui. The actual location is on Oahu. Oops, my bad.

11:22 PM, October 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home