.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chuck's Occasional Rants (now banned in 15 countries)

This is where I rant about my life, the way things are going, the state of the nation, or anything else that catches my attention. These entries reflect my opinion on a given subject. That opinion may be viewed as anything from informed to insane, but nonetheless it is mine. If you disagree with me, remember no one is forcing you to read this blog. As to the blog name, according to sources, the content of this blog most likely violates certain banned speech laws in 15 countries.

Name:
Location: Parts Unknown, Pennsylvania, United States

I am male, 41, heterosexual, caucasian, and still living (to the best of my knowledge). I won't mention my political views as I am sure that you will figure them out from the entires in this blog (unless you are a Tea Party member in which case you are probably too uneducated and downright stupid to figure it out.)

Friday, December 24, 2004

A Coaching Change And A Prediction

Hello again sports fans.
I found out this week that my beloved University of Pittsburgh has let (football) Head Coach Walt Harris go to Stanford without so much as a counter offer. Apparently AD Jeff Long and the administration at Pitt are so gutless that they couldn't fire Harris. So they let him go without comment and without a counter offer. Yeah, boys, that's fucking brilliant! Let's get rid of the most successful coach at Pitt since Jackie Sherrill! Hey guys, here's a clue, since you don't have one, IT IS ABOUT WINNING!!! Now Pitt, in an equally brilliant move, has hired Dave Wannstadt (former coach of the Chicago Bears and Miami Dolphins). Wannstadt played for Pitt back in the 1970s. I am not against hiring former players to be coaches at their (the player's) alma maters, but has anyone taken a look at Wannstadt's record with the Bears or the Dolphins?? If it is all about winning (the reason Harris was on the outs, despite a 25-12 record over the past 3 years), then Wannstadt is not the guy! Maybe he will turn out to be a decent college coach, but I highly doubt it. A coach who is a winner, knows how to win on any level, not just this level or that level. Wannstadt is a good coordinator, but he isn't a head coach. Apparently the know-nothing administration at Pitt so longs for the bad old days of the late 1980s through the mid-1990s (when Pitt couldn't buy a win) that they are willing to throw away the best coach they have had in decades. What a bunch of idiots!
If Wannstadt turns out to be a winning and decent coach, then I will publish an apology in this blog stating I was wrong. Of course, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that apology to appear.
Also, a warning to the Pitt administration, don't try to squelch this piece. It is my opinion, so if you don't like it, find something factually wrong with it, but don't try to threaten me with your lawyers. I will ignore them just as ignore other brainless lackeys!

Now a prediction. Pitt will win the Fiesta Bowl for two reasons. First, the Pitt players will be trying to give their coach, Walt Harris, a great going away present. Second, Utah hasn't played anyone.
First, the Pitt players will be motivated by Harris' departure and wnat to send him out on a winning note. They will also be motivated by the fact that everyone is picking Utah to win this game quite handily. It is well to note that Pitt has beaten every top 20 team it has played this season (Bos. College, Notre Dame, and West Virginia were all ranked when Pitt played them). Furthermore, Pitt opponents BC, ND, WVU, Syracuse, and Conneticut are all going to bowl games.
On the other hand, Utah hasn't played a ranked team all season. Their schedule was Texas A&M, Arizona, Utah State, Air Force, New Mexico, North Carolina, UNLV, San Diego State, Colorado State, Wyoming, and BYU. Wyoming, Texas A&M, and North Carolina are the only quality team (this season) on that schedule (Wyoming having just beaten UCLA in their bowl game, Texas A&M playing in the Cotton Bowl, and UNC playing BC in the Continental Tire Bowl, none of whom [WY, TX A&M, or UNC] are ranked). Oops almost forgot that mighty New Mexico is playing Navy in a bowl *Yawn* (they aren't ranked either). So, I reiterate, Utah hasn't played anyone this season. Given that, they are highly overrated at #6 (ESPN/USA Today poll). I think that they will be in for a big shock when they play Pitt.
For these reasons, I am predicting that #20 Pitt will defeat #6 Utah in the Fiesta Bowl. Final score, Pitt 33, Utah 10. Take it to the bank folks!
You can catch the Fiesta Bowl on ABC at 8:30 PM on Jan. 1st.
I am Chuck and this has been my rant (or at least a small tantrum).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home