.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chuck's Occasional Rants (now banned in 15 countries)

This is where I rant about my life, the way things are going, the state of the nation, or anything else that catches my attention. These entries reflect my opinion on a given subject. That opinion may be viewed as anything from informed to insane, but nonetheless it is mine. If you disagree with me, remember no one is forcing you to read this blog. As to the blog name, according to sources, the content of this blog most likely violates certain banned speech laws in 15 countries.

Name:
Location: Parts Unknown, Pennsylvania, United States

I am male, 41, heterosexual, caucasian, and still living (to the best of my knowledge). I won't mention my political views as I am sure that you will figure them out from the entires in this blog (unless you are a Tea Party member in which case you are probably too uneducated and downright stupid to figure it out.)

Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm Still Here.

Hello again readers. I am still around, and even though I don't blog as often as I used to, I felt I had to write about a few things currently in the news. Here goes...
I was reading the news today and a story about Pakistan caught my eye. As you may know, Pakistan recently held a general election. In that election the party of Pervez Musharraf was rather soundly defeated. Now the Bush Administration, in what has to be one of its stupider moves, is urging Pakistanis to retain Musharraf as their president. Huh?!!? Umm, let me get this straight George, the Pakistani people have just voted to boot out Musharraf and his party. Not only did they boot him out, they did so in a pretty big way. And now you want them to retain this clown? Uhh, George, I would take the time to explain the principles of democracy here, but I neither have the time nor the space. The people of Pakistan have democratically voiced their will and now you, George W. Bush, want to overrule them? Just who the hell do you think you are? When you were (sort-of) elected, the Pakistanis didn't come here and tell us to retain your predecessor. What gives you the right to tell them what to do? Oh, that's right, I forgot, sorry about that. I forgot that you know nothing about democracy, or the consent of the governed. Silly me, I thought you might have caught on during the last eight years that the will of the people is what's supposed to go in a democracy. So let me break it down for you W. In a democracy, when the people vote to elect their representatives, those representatives govern with the consent of the people. The representatives take their orders directly from the people. Not just the ones who voted for them, but all of the people (even the contentious ones like me). They, the representatives, do NOT take their marching orders from some lame-duck dumbass several thousand miles away who doesn't like the fact that they were elected! Of course, never having been actually elected yourself, you wouldn't know (or understand) any of this. I'd tell you to refer to the Constitution, but seeing as how you've violated that umpteen times, I doubt it would do any good. See George, you are just a moron. You constantly talk about establishing democracy in that part of the world, but just when you have a democracy reestablishing itself (such as Pakistan) you go and try to undermine it just because you and your anti-democratic administration don't like the results! And then, to top it all off, you can't figure out why people there don't like the US! Duh! My suggestion is that you wait and see if the new Pakistani government is friendly to the US. Then, if they aren't friendly, you can always have the CIA try to overthrow (or assassinate the leader of) their government and show just how much of a supporter of democracy you are! After all, the CIA did such a wonderful and successful job of that with Castro in the 60's. (Since I know you have no clue about history George I'll fill you in, I'm being facetious here. If you don't know what that means, ask Dick to look it up for you, it is under "F" in the dictionary.)
Speaking of Castro, I heard that Fidel is quitting as El Presidente (or whatever he calls himself). According to NPR's Morning Edition, he's decided to step down after nearly 50 years of rule. He will supposedly continue to publish articles in the Cuban press, but will no longer have any say in the ruling of the country. I say, Fidel, relax, enjoy retirement. To hell with the newspaper stuff. Get out, play some golf, get a tan, and let the worrying up to Raul. He seems to have his stuff together. Seriously though, it is kind of sad to see Castro go. For nearly fifty years he has been the whipping boy of US Latin American policy. All the way from the Cuban Missile Crisis to the continuing embargo on Cuban goods, Castro has served as one of the anti-Communist fanatics favorite boogiemen. If you listen to official government policy, the anti-Castro Cuban community, and anti-Communist (and mostly pro-fascist) nutjobs, Castro is Satan in a Cuban Army uniform. I can't say that I agree with his politics, or his techniques in dealing with dissenters. But I can say, that as the leader of a country 90 miles south of his biggest enemy (a country the US could have crushed at just about anytime it so chose), Fidel had some balls. Not only did he choose to ally himself with the Soviets at a time when the Soviets were the US's biggest enemy, but then he had the gall to not only challenge, but also to defy Washington's edicts. Love him or hate him, it is undeniable that Fidel Castro set the bar for pissing off the US, and has become a role model for other anti-American Latin American leaders such as Hugo Chavez. So, I propose that as an adversary who has played the game of international politics with both saavy and outright audacity, and who has done so quite well, we, the US, should extend an invitation to Fidel, and his big cajones, to retire in South Florida (just like everyone else does). In any case, good luck in your retirement Fidel!
Well, I gotta run off and do other things.
So until next time, I am Chuck and this has been my rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home