.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Chuck's Occasional Rants (now banned in 15 countries)

This is where I rant about my life, the way things are going, the state of the nation, or anything else that catches my attention. These entries reflect my opinion on a given subject. That opinion may be viewed as anything from informed to insane, but nonetheless it is mine. If you disagree with me, remember no one is forcing you to read this blog. As to the blog name, according to sources, the content of this blog most likely violates certain banned speech laws in 15 countries.

Name:
Location: Parts Unknown, Pennsylvania, United States

I am male, 41, heterosexual, caucasian, and still living (to the best of my knowledge). I won't mention my political views as I am sure that you will figure them out from the entires in this blog (unless you are a Tea Party member in which case you are probably too uneducated and downright stupid to figure it out.)

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Here It Comes...

Hello again readers. I hope everyone is well.
It has been a while since my last post. First, I would like to thank everyone who has visited lately, you really pumped up my hit rate!
Secondly, it is time to return to this blog's theme, politics. With that in mind, on with the show.
Today, the Bush administration announced that it plans on expanding the size of the US military. Ostensibly, this expansion would be to deal with the long term problems associated with the war on terrorism. In reality, it is the Bush Administration's trial balloon for something people have been predicting since the beginning of the war in Iraq, namely the draft. With no specifics on how the Administration plans on expanding our military, with experienced military personnel leaving in droves, and with people avoiding recruiting offices, only one logical conclusion is left as to how the Pentagon will meet its expansion goals. That conclusion is that they will extend all enlistments indefinitely and they will attempt to institute the draft.
I oppose the draft as it tends to degrade the quality of your force. It has been shown time and time again that an all volunteer force tends to yield a better quality soldier. By a better quality soldier, I mean a soldier who is smarter, more dedicated to serving, and is more satisfied in his job. If the Pentagon is smart, they will attempt to expand the military by offering more incentives. The incentives should be too good to resist. Might I suggest, higher enlistment bonuses, FREE (not partially paid) college educations (at the college of the soldier's choice), free health care at the provider of the soldier's choice (not just the VA), and available low or no interest housing loans and the like. These are only a few suggestions, and, surprise, surprise, they are not new. These are the type of things provided for in the post-World War 2 GI Bill. However, if it is a choice between treating our soldiers right by helping to boost their position in life with a new GI Bill or instituting the draft so that the poor can fight the war for the rich (and then get treated like dirt by the rich upon their [the poor's] return), you can probably guess which the Bush Administration will choose (and no, it won't be the GI Bill option).
So, if you are between 18 and 42, have a legally required Selective Service card, and aren't dead, the US government may have a job for you...as cannon fodder.
I am Chuck and this has been my rant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home